PLEASE NOTE: This became one of our most read articles. Mostly by professionals outside of Canada trying to get a tech job in Canada.
Below article describes the process what CANADIAN company needs to do to extend an offer. For candidates applying, you still need to apply, interview and secure a job offer from Canadian company.
After you accept an offer, Canadian company would need to figure out the work visa category to submit your profile through, do market labour assessment, pay the fee and submit your profile to the government for review. Government guarantees 2 week turn around time.
However, some Canadian companies even with 2 week turn around time still do not want to go through the process due to fees, legalities, headache involved.
Please note that it is illegal for company to ask candidate to pay the processing fee. Good luck.
After months, and years of waiting , Global Skills Strategy has finally arrived.
— Navdeep Bains (@NavdeepSBains) June 12, 2017
Canada has shortage of IT talent, sometimes candidates from abroad ask for salary of $60,000-70,000 just to end up getting $100,000 because of their skills are so in demand. The government of Canada realized that the only way to keep the economy going is to get some skilled workers into Canada fast. And by fast, we mean super fast, like 2 weeks after you apply fast.
Here is how the whole process works, please bear in mind, this has just started and there might be some caveats down the road:
- First - figure out if you qualify - there are two categories through which you can get in:Category A:There are 2 paths to be eligible in Category A:1) Designated Partner for referral to Services Canada.The Partners are:Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
BC Tech Association
Business Development Bank of Canada
Council of Canadian Innovators
Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
Global Affairs Canada’s Trade Commissioner Service
ICT Manitoba (ICTAM)
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada – Accelerated Growth Service
MaRS Discovery District
National Research Council – Industrial Research Assistance Program
Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration
Ontario Ministry of Economic Growth and Development
VENN Innovation2) Hiring talent that has Advanced knowledge of the industry or an Advanced degree in an area of specialization of interest to the employer; AND/OR Minimum of five years of experience in the field of specialized experience; AND A highly paid position with a salary of usually $80,000 or more. If you are hiring talent with this profile, you can apply directly to the Global Skills Visa.
- Category B: For Category B of the Global Talent Stream, employers must hire highly-skilled foreign workers to fill positions in occupations found on the following list:
National Occupations Classification (NOC) code Occupation Minimum wage requirement (annual salary) Minimum wage requirement (hourly rate) 0213 Computer and information systems managers not applicable not applicable 2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers) not applicable not applicable 2171 Information systems analysts and consultants not applicable not applicable 2172 Database analysts and data administrators not applicable not applicable 2173 Software engineers and designers not applicable not applicable 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers not applicable not applicable 2175 Web designers and developers not applicable not applicable 2241 Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians $81,000 $38.94 2283 Information systems testing technicians $78,000 $37.50 Sub-set of 5241* Digital Media and Design*position requires a minimum of five years of industry experience, and skills requirements including: 3D modeling, virtual and augmented reality; animation, level editing, editor and pipeline software and tools in applicable industry; other specialized knowledge of software framework in applicable industry (for example, Unreal 3.0); and/or, Experience in planning and managing a project. $80,000 $38.46
OK, all qualified and ready to go? You can go ahead and submit that application:
Follow the guide on how to apply on the Canadian Government website that outlines the steps needed. You can apply online HERE. You must fill out the following forms:
Also, make sure to read this Applicant Guide to understand how to best fill in the forms mentioned above! You’ll also need to pay a whopping $1,000 processing fee.
4. Make a Labour Market Benefit Plan.
Services Canada (ESDC) will work with you to create a Labour Market Benefits Plan during / after the application process. You’ll need to make different plans based on your Category. Category A: Commit to creating jobs, either directly or indirectly for Canadians and permanent residents as your mandatory benefit. Category B: Commit to increasing skills and training investments for Canadians and permanent residents as your mandatory benefit. In addition, you’ll need to make two complementary benefits with at least one activity for each benefit. The complementary benefits identified by an employer in their Plan cannot be the same as the mandatory benefit. Examples of Complementary Benefits:
Increasing the number of Canadians or permanent residents employed full-time and part-time by the firm
- Establishing educational partnerships with local or regional post-secondary institutes or with other organizations that are supporting skills and training
- Paid co-op or internship programs
- Developing and implementing policies to support the hiring of underrepresented groups
- Directly training Canadians or permanent residents
- Directly supervising and mentoring Canadians or permanent residents
- Increasing growth of revenue, employment or investment; and
- Developing/enhancing partnerships with organizations that assist with the identification of top domestic capital
This will be done together with Services Canada, so don’t need to worry about it before applying!
5. Work with Services Canada to finish application. After you apply a team member from Services Canada will get in touch with you either through email or phone to process your application. They will work closely with you to make sure everything runs smoothly and you can bring in the best talent that you need to grow your business.
This is the easiest and fastest way to get tech talent into Canada to date. Enjoy!